Today, after trying to update one of the applications of my NAS, a Synology 411J, I noticed that it became non responsive and upon rebooting, the dreaded flashing led of death came up.In order to avoid losing your content the following are the steps I followed in order to restore the NAS to its working order.
To recover the NAS, you will need
- a spare hard disk you can use to reinstall the NAS (any density);
- the latest version of the DSM for your device;
- the latest version of the Synology Assistant software
(the latest 2 you will be able to download directly from Synology Support Page)
- Turn off the NAS. Open it and mark the hard disks so to remember their exact order.
- Insert your spare disk into the slot #1 and then turn on the NAS.
- Use the Synology Assistant to find your NAS on your network
- Reinstall the DSM from scratch (it will erase your spare hard disk)
- Upon completion of the the installation, shut down the device from the control panel.
- Reinstall the old hard disk in the same exact order and turn on.
- Reopen the Synology Assistant to find out the NAS once again. You will notice that the system is marked as “Migratable”.
- Install once again the NAS DSM file you installed (same of step 4). This time however only the DSM will be installed and all the data will be preserved.
- Wait about 10 minutes for the whole process to be completed.
Voila! Your NAS is back again in operation.